Tuesday 1 January 2019

Wine Shopping

Happy New Year readers!

My classy cat, celebrating in style.


New Year's Day seems like a good time to share my wine purchasing story. It doesn't really have anything to do with libraries, unless you consider a wine store to be like a library, except there aren't books only bottles, and you don't borrow the wine, so...nope, this story has nothing to do with libraries.

A while back my boss was leaving our office, so we decided to send him off with some booze (as all good employees do). I was tasked with procuring said booze, so I went to my colleague who knows about these things, and he looked up the LCBO's wine list, found a few good choices which were apparently in stock at the closest outlet, and jotted them down for me.

Off I went, and spent a good twenty minutes searching for the wine on my list. I double checked that I was looking in the right country and not trying to find a red in amongst the whites. All was good on my end, yet I couldn't find the bottle.

This was not, apparently, my wine country.
Finally, probably after longer than it should have been (I'm a bit stubborn), I asked one of the staff at the LCBO if he knew where I could find the wine on my list. He took my little scrap of paper, read the wine, and said "of course, follow me", and then took me over to the section of the wine store that I had always assumed was only for the revoltingly rich and from which I would be swiftly asked to leave should I enter - the Vintages.

So fancy, so classy.

He quickly found the wine on my list while I marveled that there were wines here that didn't have enough value to put my children through university, that I, with my $30 in coins and small bills collected from my colleagues, could indeed purchase a fancy bottle of wine. I'm sure there were also wines in that area that cost a pretty penny, but they were probably behind locks or up high where my grubby paws can't reach.

I thanked my new friend and took my bottle over to the cashier when it dawned on me; I had never in my life, until that moment, bought a nice bottle of wine. All of my wine selections had come from the equivalent of the dollar store offerings, purchased "off the rack" as it were. 

Armed with this new knowledge about the relative affordability of the Vintages section, I realize I could purchase more wine from there, but I haven't been back since. Partly it's because I don't actually buy a lot of wine, but I suspect that if I were to return to Vintages and peruse on my own, I would find my hands wrapped around a bottle whose price tag comes close to my pay cheque, and it would inevitably be at this moment that my clumsiness would stumble by, and I would be left with a very expensive pile of broken glass. I'll stick to dropping a $10 bottle of wine from the bargain section.

My inevitable future.





No comments:

Post a Comment